Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Yard Work

I spent my off day building a retaining wall for GeckoGirl's garden. Let's do some math. We got 116 bricks from Home Depot, at 24 lbs/brick. We also picked up three cubic yards of dirt that's approximately 3,000 lbs or 1.5 tons per cubic yard. Pulling out a calculator That's (116x24) + (3x3000) = 11,784 lbs. Or just under 6 tons. Needless to say, my back was absolutely KILLING me!!! I did have assistance from someone who had no clue of what was awaiting him. All weekend, I was walking around like a NEANDERTHAL. I definitely had to clean out the hot tub for some muscle relaxation. But it was worth it. Wall looks nice. Will build one for the trees when it stops raining. I can't complain though, it was less bricks & dirt than I used for my yard.

Speaking of which, my tulips are blossiming, and I'm very excited. I took a picture of it yesterday. Unfortunately, the sun was setting. As you can see below, I don't pick my colors too wisely. Purple tulips with orange Marigolds. Mom would be proud to see her alma mater's colors. After the first set of tulips blossom, I'm expecting some pink tulips to do their thing. Then I should have a third set to sprout too. We'll see what happens. What do you think? I'll take a better, sunnier picture later.

7 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger desertrose said...

I am impressed!! Did you do that all on your own?!? :)

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger AMES said...

Impressive. My grandmother gave me a spot in her yard where I began working on building a flowerbed, I toiled with the soil, preparing it. I bought my seeds, but my interest faded. My grandmother had her gardener finish the job. The flowerbed is beautiful now, and I still refer to it as mine.

I congratulate anyone who can build and nuture plant life.

My little garden blooms, is green and full of color all year long in this mild California weather.

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Chops said...

Wow! You really did that by yourself??? You better work! Good job!

Lambchop~

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger C.R.C. said...

Nice garden! Tulips are my favorite flowers :)

I'm sure Gecko Girl's yard looks great too. Nice work!

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Brown Shuga said...

Looks good. Let's work on that grass next! *smile*

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Liza Valentino said...

damn, son! That's a lot of lifting!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Amy said...

I feel your excitement!
My front yard is divided into 2 sections of lawn, with the path to the front door going down the centre.
I have two beautiful Japanese weeping cherry trees in the centre of each section of lawn, which have the most beautiful white blossoms.
Underneath each tree, I have a circular garden bed with a paved edging. Inside the circles I have planted blue Iris near the trunks in the centre, and magnificent white tulips all around these to the edging. It is just magical when they flower! I get so excited each spring to watch them come up!
Only pity is they last such a short time.
And I have to wait a whole 6 months for mine to flower again, being on the other side of the planet and all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home