Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Myrtle Beach

I had an interesting time in Myrtle Beach. I went there for a ski convention, which included a bunch of meetings. I'm the racing guy for my club. I introduced myself at the meeting, and the agenda suddenly stopped. Everyone was elated to see a Black ski club become part of their organization, and everyone's offering their support & advice on how we can get more involved and better organized. There was also an intense questioning to find out how good we are. They take racing very seriously, much more than I have. But since my club does subsidize my ski expenses, and I enjoy skiing and racing, I may let their racing passion rub off on me.

My second observation was that many of the racing leaders were injured. I don't need to ask why, or how. It's just not encouraging to follow folks in leg braces or walking with a cane.

I stayed at the Kingston Plantation. The name alone made me think twice about going, w/o even looking up its history. The ethnicities of the worker-bees versus the top dogs were as expected. It was not warm out, but that did not stop the outdoor pool from being packed. Weird.

The funniest part of my drive, was seeing this Porsche Carerra anxious to pass me on a busy stretch of a 4-laned (total) highway. Apparently, my 85 mph wasn't fast enough, so I politely scooted over. The Porsche promptly accelerated for for about... 1 second, before he had to slam on teh brakes to wait for the other car to move over. This repeated itslef every 15 seconds. A couple minutes later, I saw the same Porsche on the side of the road with its hood up. LOL

5 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ITA with what "msthing" said, yet on another note, I get this sudden surge of satisfaction when I get to pass them Andretti's. I sometimes want to stick my tongue out and say, "Na-na boo-boo...I still passed you!"

I know, it's the kid in me.

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you left me no other choice than to jack this comment spot to say that I blog-enlisted you on my roll. I hope it's okay.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger AMES said...

Golly gosh, I just googled that car. Beautiful, I would have changed lanes just to see how fast he could go.

You know that guy wanted to set the engine free.

In highschool during ski season, classmates, most of whom were in the ski club, would come to school each week (no joke) with a broken limb. Girls and guys. Kids would have injuries from various sports throughout the year. They'd heal and be back at it.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger C.R.C. said...

ROFL @ ol boy in the Porche! lol! Sounds like you had a good time at Myrtle Beach :) Good luck with the ski club.

BTW, I've moved to a new address. Now I can be found at:

http://theessenceofsunnchine.blogspot.com

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Rainmayun said...

the blowhards who are usually found driving such cars don't understand that getting there faster isn't simply a function of flooring the gas pedal. I often get places faster than other people without ever really driving all that fast, especially in heavy traffic, because it's all about the art of minimizing disruption to your flow. of course, I like to floor it too, sometimes, but that's just for the thrill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home