Monday, December 20, 2004

"I Won't Let You Fail" Part II

Remember when I was talking about my efforts to help this kid graduate without him having criminal record? I was determined not to just let him fail. I can't save everyone, but I surely can't offer a helping hand without willing to stretch a little further, ya know?

Well, I talked to the kid's mom, and she's giving me all this grief about how she's no longer with her husband, and the kid stays with him sometimes, without a phone. Frankly, my dear, I really don't give a damn. But what did frustrate me that here I am dealling with parents that have their priorities all screwed up. They said screw the court system, and screw me. And now they want everything to be made OK since my scolding made them realize that their blind eye is going to cause their kid a heap of inconvenience upon graduation day.

It's the holidays. My efforts to help seem to be abused. But that's not going to discourage me at all. But that doesn't mean what's been wrong will be ignored. My plan, is to continue to help this kid, but I'm not going to reward his parents stupidity. I have a new kid assigned to me, he has a totally different attitude than the 1st kid. He's extremely apologetic, and strives continuously to excel. Why can't all kids be like him?

The biggest difference I see between these two kids is that their parents are like day & night (in more ways than their complexion!!!). The hard working, devoted parents have hard working, devoted kids. The 'I'm going to handlle my b'ness' parents have kids that think they can do whatever the hell they want.

Damn shame, but I'm going to keep on trying. I don't want these kids to car-jack me 5 years from now if I can prevent it today!

2 Comments:

At 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may just have inspired me to do the same! How did you get started? Well, no matter what, don't get discouraged, I think what you're doing is great!

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger AMES said...

Good parenting often goes unrecognized. Bad parenting is usually obvious. This is one of the many things that teachers have to deal with. Shout out to educators and parents who do their best. Shout out to Jezchill for trying to make a difference in a life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home