Thursday, November 11, 2004

Celebrating Grass!!

Anyone who knew me before I moved to Atlanta will tell you that I would be the last person you'll ever find doing yard work and keeping up a flower garden. In fact, I refused to cut my grass at my California house more often than once a season. Everything certainly changes when you own your own home though. That's why I can't figure out why some homeowners don't have enough pride to keep up their own yards.

I just winterized my flower garden. I have no doubt I'll have a very impressive presentation in the spring. My front yard is looking like its supposed to. But I have one real troublesome area that I haven't been able to solve for the 2 years I've been here.... how to get grass to grow in my back yard!

I've tried seeding & seeding, watering & more water, tha didn't work. I tried using a "hook-up" to aerate & seed the lawn, that didn't work. Even despite working daily to keep the ground moist so the seeds will germinate. My latest effort was to pay ChemLawn to hook it up. This was four weeks ago. I looked out into my backyard today, and I see grass growing everywhere!!! I'm really excited!!! Finally, I won't look out and see a bed of red clay & weeds. Aren't you happy for me?

But wait a minute.... It's Novemember. My grass is growing... please tell me I'm not going to be that fool cutting his grass in 35 degree weather in December!!!

5 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Congratulations! If you're so dead keen on gardening suddenly, feel free to come and play in my backyard :) Although mine is full of fruit trees, I'm not much for flowers (except ones that don't take any effort)... as for the grass, yeah it can be stubborn, no such luck here in Melbourne where the weather is warm/cold/wet all in the same day, perfect growing conditions (too bad I'm not a plant). I have the solution for not being the one out in the heat mowing - hire a Jim man (or whatever the service is called over there). For $35 a month he comes to the house and does all those 'manly outdoor' things. Hey... when's thanks-giving there? Starting to get warm here, so i'm told, so it must be getting close :)

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Jez Chill said...

I'm really not in to flowers either, it's just that I have to get a little dirty if i want my house to be the nicest on the block. i can't see myself paying someone to do the yard work. I can spend that money on drinks, and maybe my girlfriend will catch me cutting the grass and get turned on. :-)

I've never heard of a "Jim Man". Must be an Aussie term. Here, we call the folks that cut the grass Mexicans. OK, shame on me! That was cruel!

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Karen said...

You horrid person :P Our 'Jim-man' is Austrian I think. His name is Ain and he's always having woman problems. Maybe I should look out for a Mexican? At least they could help me practise my Spanish while doing the yard work. Hope the girlfriend scenario pans out...

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger Jez Chill said...

I bet he's having problems. I've seen what happens from the one episode I watched of "Desperate Housewives".

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Karen said...

'Desperate Housewives' ? Is that really a show, or are you referring to the women that keep hitting on you?? *lol* I don't mind him having women trouble, so long as he's not late doing my lawn and I don't have to hear about it every time... i.e. "I'm late, but I've been having a alot of trouble lately".

Did you try those boots with the spikes in the bottom? They're meant to be very good you can put in the grass while you walk, or something along those lines :)

The real problem is finding a fence to match the garden and not be over-stated in comparison to the neighbors (no body wants to show off) but still be better then the neighbors.... then there's the pagola and don't forget the never ending renovations... This is why people don't buy houses perhaps, it's just too much effort :)

btw: I think your place looks great (albeit sometimes messy :P). You're doing an excellent job, and your neighbors should appreciate it because you'll be rising their house value as well as your own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home