Tuesday, November 30, 2004

"I Won't Let You Fail"

I received some inspiration from the best drama on television, "The Wire" on HBO. There was a scene where a guy was seeking advice on how to help the neighborhood knuckleheads when they act like they have no sense. The advice received was, "When I see a kid about to go down the wrong path, I tell him, 'I won't let you fail', and I keep on trying."

So now here I am, dealing with this knucklehead who's wasting my damn time. I could be passing missions on PS2, but I'm sitting here waiting for his court-ordered direction to call me so I can help him. I even found another person that was going to help me out by being the role-model he needs to write a report on if he can't find one himself (I have specific guidelines on who will qualify). Anyways, I haven't spoken to this kid in 3 weeks. One week, I was in Seattle, but I already told him, he needs to leave a message if I don't answer. He didn't. He probably didn't even call.

There are two options. I can notify the court that he didn't meet his obligations, which may send him through juvenile hall. Or I can talk to him and/or his parents to ensure they meet their obligations. Come on now, this kid has to be a fool to think that he rather go to "Juve" and get a criminal record than to to make a simple call, and perform a few simple projects. Hmmm, go to the college of my choice, or be a bum.

I'm volunteering to make a positive impact... so I know I need to step up my game and make sure he acts right. I need to get on his parents too. His parents are real good people. On the flip side, I can't make anyone do anything they don't want to. This is a volunteer effort, not a job. The board sent me the worst kid for a reason. I better suck it up!

2 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger DatFuule said...

Sometime you have to appeal to the basest instincts of people: fear, bribery, lust for power, etc. Hopefully, you'll find a way to make doing the report matter to the kid, since going to Juvie clearly ain't enough. Lord knows the last thing we need is more weak and ignorant behavior....

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Brown Shuga said...

In the words of ole boy in "Water Boy"...."You can do it!" Handle your business man. Although I agree with you about not being able to make somebody do something they don't want to do. I commend you on your efforts though. It is tough though. I traveled down that road a few years ago. It takes an awful lot of time and committment to really get through to them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home