Monday, April 10, 2006

St. Moritz, Paris, Bellagio.... OH MY!!!

I'm back from visiting St. Moritz, Switzerland; Paris, France; and Bellagio, Italy. It was a GREAT trip! There are castles everywhere in Switzerland! Including the Roman buildings that were used as guard houses or for working peasants. They should've had some foresight that there would be a huge tour bus winding through the city 2 milleniums later, cause it sure was tight squeezing through the little villages. The Bellagio in Vegas looks nothing like the real one! Well, they both have a hugh body of water (Lake Cumo) and shops everywhere. Paris was pleasant! The Metro train system is very efficient. Some of them need to learn how to shower, and others need to not dress so... feminine. We avoided any student protesters! I kept my souvenier Swiss Army Knife on me... just in case. But it was all good.


Language Barrier?


I spoke with a German couple on "Holiday" in St. Moritz. She spoke 5 different languages. He spoke 3. Neither of them included English in their list, since it was their weakest one. They were very excited to finally get to practice some English. It was a very interesting conversation. It most consisted of them practicing their English, and me being in awe that my few years of learning Spanish is not even a comparison to their linguistic skills. But I did impress them when my patience had ran real low, and I got up to leave: I said "Danke", which means "Thank you" in German.


Of course, I took some video: VIDEO 1 or VIDEO 2



I wanted to reward the 10,000th visitor to my site... but I missed you. Sorry.

6 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Honest said...

Sounds like fun. My theory is that Europeans are forced to learn different languages because they live in such small countries and travel so often. I imagine if every state had a different language we'd probably be fluent in at least 4 or 5 languages. Alas, I'm already fluet in New Yorkese and North Carolinese. lol!

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I live outside Mexico I'm decent in Spanglish but I intend to do Berlitz and become fluent in Spanish. For some reason I can write it, understand it, but I'm bad speaking it. My Peruvian friend advised me to listen to Spanish radio and watch those soaps. I began to hear the pauses and began understanding more.

It becomes easier to pick up the languages when you are constantly around them. Like Honest I'm quite good with valley lingo, Oakland speak, and city talk, I have all accents down pat.

That snow looks gorgeous. Just gorgeous.

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Wow! That looks like so much fun...
I can see you are having a ball...

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Man, you know how to have more fun than anyone I know...really know!

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw you, I saw you!!!
nah nah nah nah nah nah

Your woman is one blessed female!!! I hope to find a man who loves to have fun just as much as you do!

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful time. You're living it up, man!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home