Monday, February 20, 2006

Olympic Glory, or is it?

Congrats go out to Shani Davis for being the first Black win an individual gold metal at the Winter Olympics. Of course, I'm all interested in the winter sports. But Shani's story interests me because I was trying to get my club to donate money to the US Ski & Snowbard Association. Other club members didn't share my enthusiasm, and Shani's story explains why. Why is it that Black athletes don't get the same level of support other athletes get? I don't know all the details, but its clear that Shani carries a huge chip on his shoulder because he (and his mother) had to rely on international means of support in order for him to compete on the world level. So if the US Speedskating Association appears to give preferences to athletes that obviously didn't have as much potential as Shani, it's likely that the USSA does the same thing. In fact, Andre Horton is the only American to ever win the Italian Downhill, and he never made it to the Olympic team, and he is black.


Sue Me?


Here I am, fighting to protect my property value. Protesting at Town Hall meetings, zoning meetings, Board of Commissoner meetings... and quite successful I might add. But this success means someone else is losing. So this loser is now trying to intimidate me from making further protests, and has sent me a formal threat to sue me!!! What the hell? How's a millionare going to sue little ole me? It doesn't matter that nothing I said was inaccurate, he can sue me for any reason at all, and I have to prove it in court. He's already sued the county and other business entinties, and now he's targetting me! The last thing I need is to become broke fighting some rich bastard when I'm about to start a new chapter in my life. I'm not some punk that can be bullied or intimidated, but I will tread very carefully, picking my words very selectively, just in case. Fortunately, I found this crazy neighbor who is just as determined to fight the Bastard, so I think I'll have her speak for me. After I move, I'll be through with all this.

8 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Honest said...

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the Shauny Davis speed skating "controversy" but I think the media is making way more of a big deal then they should.

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw his press conference and an interview with the other U.S. Olympian who didn't shake his hand after he won the medal. I think perhaps like with golf and tennis, the majority wants some sports where they can get away from the minorities.

It's unfortunate more of your neighbors don't join the fight. A few years ago developers wanted to turn the golf course that borders my mom's house into a world class private golf club. The club was supposed to increase property values but it also would have increased traffic,noise, pollution, and brought lights to a purposely dark neighborhood. They wanted to take an enormous # of cubic feet of dirt and cut hundreds of trees. The neighbors hired a lawyer, some engineers and we fought and won. We crowded out the council meeting. The developer went away and has not returned.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Of course, I thought of you and your downhill skiing pictures when I saw the Shani story.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Shani was a classy act. Why weren't you out there on your skis?

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what was it Dave Chappelle said? Hmmm.. can't remember it verbatim, but... he made reference to how African Americans are "taking over" sports: basketball, football, baseball, golf, etc. And he went on to talk about how it's about time that they took something from the caucasians... anywho... had me rollin', BUT... maybe this is why that asshole didn't shake Shani's hand. He's a hater! And he needs a swift kick in the rump! BUT... we all know all that did was boost Shani's esteem and make him stronger!

I was expecting to see some dread head flying down the slopes. Man, was I disappointed! *frown* Maybe sometime in the near future???

I have a great lawyer here in SC, but that doesn't do you any good. She's a feisty so and so and hates to lose! Keep us posted and I'll be praying for your case to win and for guidance during this procedure!!!! Remember... everything is a test to see how you will pass so God will know what job to give you in the next life!!!

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger DatFuule said...

The Colbert Report had a hilarious gag about how Shani was wrong because you're "supposed to take one for the team when you're black. Black people have been taking one for the team since the beginning." And they started with Crispus Attucks, all the way up to Colin Powell.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger ManNMotion said...

Yeah man, I know you were diggin the snowboarding. I hate to say this, but I really didn't watch any of the Olympics. I guess I'm tired of it, tired of the politicized medal count, tired of them shamming a money making operation as a pure and unadulterated sport, man I'm just tired. Still, The Shani Davis story makes me happy because it brings to light a lot of things wrong in this world and makes people talk about them.

As for the lawsuit, sounds like a good learning experience. There's a lot of ways to play it. Stamina counts. You can countersue him for liebel and harassment. You could have a neighborhood petition, or I bet that if he's willing to sue you, he's willing to pay you to shut up too. Not that one should sell out like that but if worse comes to worse...

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger DatFuule said...

On the lawsuit thing, it sounds like a SLAPP suit- Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation. Google it and check out some basic defensive tactics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home