Thursday, October 14, 2004

Helping the kids

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

For a several months now, I have been volunteering with the county to help youth who have committed their first offense get a second chance to enter adulthood without a criminal record. Most of them are good kids that made a stupid mistake, they are worthy of a second chance. But there's the other bunch. The one's with broken homes or non-attentive parents, the ones you know if they continue will end up dead or in jail, the ones you think may be a lost cause because they know they want to rebellious. Raising a teenager has to be the hardest phase of a parents life.

I heard three cases. One kid just received STATE honors in Biology and goes to basketball camps in other states. Definitely bound for great glory and held up on a pedastal. The board didn't want me to handle his case, they gave me the bas-ass rebellious kid that needs a stern male influence. I'll do the best I can to make him want to do right, excell, and follow his dreams. He's one of those teenages who knows more than everyone else, so doesn't believe what adults tell them. Was I that bad?

1 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great that you don't leave the children drowning without offering them a rope. It's their choice if they reach out to take it. I'v never raised a child, but I do think Black children are taught to follow directions without question (while white kids are answered when they ask why). IMO its from slavery, Jim Crow and lynchings when you had to do what the adult said. I think a child who asks the questions and doesn't believe anything without some explanation is destined for a wonderful future. Don't go like a sheep to slaugther. I think you should nurture his desire to know why, and teach him to be more productive and positive with his instincts.

Call2arms

 

Post a Comment

<< Home