Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Fighting for R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Firstly, I'm not complaining, not whining, I'm just tellling it like it is, from my perspective.

Why is it that my teammates at work seem to get their job done easily, while I have to fight to accomplish anything? It probably just seems that way since I ignore them when they are complaining about anything. I complained the other month, and now all hell is breaking loose because the target of my accusations thinks I'm overstepping my "place". What the hell?

To me, the issue is small, a simple work disagreement. Two folks sees things two different ways. Happens all the time. This circus started when I wrote a trip report that conflicted with this other guy's perception. My letter went to my boss, then to my boss's boss, then to his boss's boss (yep, 3 levels up). And the same with the bitter co-worker's letter. Now Directors of the company are in an uproar because one department doesn't respect the other, and thusly I'm not getting any respect. My manager told me to continue doing my job, which I did, and that erupted into another uproar! Again, top management, Directors start going at it.

The funny thing is (ok I have a drab since of humor), all of this chaos could've been avoided if the guy who didn't agree with my job function just picked up the phone, e-mailed, or came & talk to me directly. We all have to work together, so it just makes since to me that you deal with problems at the source, not tattle-tell to mommy. To me, it all comes down to respect. If you respect someone, there's no beating around the bush. Since I'm not respected, I'm avoided, and get an earfull from my management. Based on what I hear, I am winning this power struggle, and slowly earning my r.e.s.p.e.c.t. Tomorrow, gotta continue taking care of business.

3 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger AMES said...

Be suspicious when people try to place you in a "place" and then tell you when you are stepping out of it. Check them early and often. But I'm self employed and I don't know workworld etiquette nor do I know if "checking" coworkers and management is conducive to maintaining employment.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Jez Chill said...

Unfortunately, I encounter situations like this at work ALL the time! If someone thinks they can walk all over you, they will. Usually, it only takes one or two incidents before they act right (or I get forced to back down), but I definitely have to tread carefully & wisely if I want to keep my position. Maybe that's why George Bush refuses to acknowledge that he has & continues to make mistakes!

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Haviland said...

I believe a nice open handed slap delivered to your co-worker would be a refreshing adjustment of the status quo. Like Martha Stewart used to say, "It's a good thing." :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home